"What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word ‘icebreakers’? Most roll their eyes and think of trust falls and forced team games."
Connecting your team through icebreaker activities doesn’t have to be a drag! Get acquainted with even the frostiest of colleagues with exciting questions and tasks. We’ve got plenty of fun solutions to help break the ice with your team.
For more introverted coworkers, the very mention of icebreakers could make them want to hide in the nearest stationary cupboard. Meanwhile, extroverts will more than likely be happy to divulge information about themselves or ask probing questions.
But before you give team building icebreaker questions a bad rap altogether, let’s look at the benefits fun icebreaker questions can have when it comes to team bonding.
Introducing team building questions to an event can be a fun and engaging way to help your colleagues relax and get acquainted with one another. A quick-fire round of good icebreaker questions will also give your team a chance to find out something personal about each other before you embark on a team building challenge. Creating that connection is all important if you are working together, icebreaker questions can thaw even the most hardened of colleagues.
Engaging in Icebreaker activities is another great way to connect with your team. Through a series of challenges and tasks players reveal their interests and personalities. Taking the guesswork out of organizing your own icebreaker questions, these challenges provide teams with clear tasks that outline ways to get to know each other. All within an allotted timeframe, perfect for slotting into a weekly meeting or catch up.
Whether your team building event is taking place remotely or in the office, here are some great icebreaker questions to get you started.
Check out our list of Team Building Activity Ideas for virtual, hybrid and in-person events.
Icebreaker questions for remote teams
With many of us still working remotely, we’ve put together a list of Zoom icebreaker questions that are perfect for virtual meetings or getting to know colleagues you might not have met in person.
- What do you miss most about the office?
- Where is your desk?
- Do you work in your pyjamas?
- How do you stay motivated and avoid procrastination
- What’s your morning beverage of choice?
- If you could learn one new skill, what would it be?
- What’s your favourite thing about remote working, and what’s your least favourite?
- How do you take time out to get away from your desk?
- What’s your most prized possession?
- If you could change anything about our virtual meetings, what would it be?
Get to know your team with Connect, our remote and hybrid-friendly Icebreaker challenge.
Icebreaker questions for meetings
Forget the agenda and formalities and check out some of these icebreaker questions to get your team meetings off to a great start.
- If you had a superpower, what would it be?
- If you went on a social media detox, how long would you last?
- What’s your favourite food?
- Where did you last go on holiday?
- Sweet or salted popcorn?
- What’s your greatest fear?
- Can you speak any other languages?
- Tell me one thing about yourself that your colleagues don’t know.
- Can you play a musical instrument?
- What’s the thing you’re most proud of?
Bond with your team with Invigorate, perfect for an in-person challenge in the office or venue of your choice!
Icebreaker questions for the office
It’s been a while since we’ve been able to share an office space with colleagues but these fun icebreaker questions are great for easing any awkwardness at the beginning of a team meeting.
- What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
- What is the worst job you’ve ever had?
- How would you spend a big lottery win?
- What’s your favourite TV show?
- If you could choose anyone you wanted, which four guests would you invite to a dinner party?
- What’s the most disgusting thing you’ve ever eaten?
- Tell us your favourite joke.
- What’s your party trick?
- Which animal do you identify with most?
- What was your first email address?
Get friendly with your colleagues and connect with Water Cooler, our flexible Icebreaker that takes just thirty minutes!
Icebreaker questions for team bonding
These will let your co-workers get to know each other on a more personal level in order to build relationships and increase communication.
- Tell us your funniest work-based story.
- What’s the best job you’ve ever had and why?
- What’s your happiest memory?
- How do you cope with stress?
- Have you ever met a celebrity? If so, who and tell what happened?
- What’s the silliest thing you’ve ever bought?
- Which actor would play you in a movie?
- If you could invent anything, what would it be?
- Have you ever done anything nice for a stranger, or has a stranger ever done anything nice for you?
- If you could tell your younger self one thing, what would it be?
Try a fast and fun activity with Bitesize: Icebreakers. It’s free to play and easy to book!
No matter how you choose to break the ice with your team, the important thing is to have fun in the process. Teams who can connect and play together are often stronger for it. Building relationships within teams takes consistent work, icebreakers are just the tip of the iceberg (no pun intended). We recommend making a point to connect with your teammates on a regular basis to strengthen communication and bonds.
Finding fun team building questions and activities doesn’t have to be stressful. Just as an icebreaker activity doesn’t have to be unpleasant for even the most introverted of teammates. Connect and play with a flexible icebreaker today.
Don't forget to share: